The Role of Clinicians: Three Steps to Save Lives
Epilepsy is a burdensome neurological disease that doubles or triples the risk of patient mortality. Important causes of death among people with epilepsy include injuries, status epilepticus, and SUDEP, some of which may be preventable with access to high-quality specialty health care and compliance with effective treatment plans.
- Complications with medication management and adherence
- Access to comprehensive epilepsy services
- Frequent use of emergency services
- If the patient is not responding to treatment, refer to specialists as appropriate
- If multiple clinical care providers see the patient, develop mechanisms for communication and coordination of care
- Develop a Seizure Action Plan, and include rescue meds when appropriate