Patients need to be assessed for the following at their initial visit, annually and at times of life transitions .
Assess the mental health of patient.
- Employ age appropriate standardized instruments to routinely screen for depression (NDDI-E, NDDI-E, PHQ-9), anxiety (GAD-7, brEASI), and suicidality.
- Share the psychiatric and mental health therapy resources that are available at your center or in your community.
- Consider prescribing or referring to providers for appropriate treatments (antidepressants, anxiolytics, and/or mood stabilizers) combined with behavioral support and counseling. Consider interactions between these medications and ASMs.
- Provide at-risk patients with safety planning, suicide hotline information (988), and discuss when to call 911. (If not in the US, provide your national numbers)
Assess for alcohol and other substance dependence.
- Provide appropriate referrals for substance dependence treatment.
Assess the mental health of the caregiver(s).
- Express the importance of self-care and provide resources to caregivers, including connection with other families, community services, and respite care.
Learn how to discuss mental health with your patients